View Single Post
Old
09-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I'm amazed Vince Gilligan was able to pull off that Schwartz trick, given that fans have been speculating on every conceivable story possibility for weeks. Nobody saw that coming! To me, that was the show's last great Heisenberg moment.

Overall I think they decided to give the audience a satisfying last meal rather than serve some weird nouvelle cuisine. Yes, as you said, it wasn't a major shocker, but I think the show digests better this way, making the end more emotionally filling and less speculative. Loose ends were tied up, characters met their just fates and Walt leaves with a degree of redemption (the degree depends on the yardstick we measure him by, naturally). There's less ambiguity about motives than there was even 24 hours ago, because the entire arc of Walter White was as clearly mapped-out as it ever could be.

On the subject of our big "Is Walt Evil?" debate, I find it interesting that, on the one hand, Vince Gilligan (I can't simply call him 'Gilligan' without smirking) made it clear he DID consider Walt evil (contrary to what I had guessed), but wrote a story that leaned heavily towards redemption. Again, it's redemption with five seasons of strings attached, but it shows that even the writer doesn't have absolute control over the characters they create. The character of Walter White transcended the page when it took human form and evolved over time, just like a child transcends its parents when it grows up.

But that's a whole other debate...
Personally I thought he was going to kill them, but what he did was even worse imo. It shows just how evil he actually is.
I disagree about redemption. At the end of it all, he ends up losing and hurting a lot of people, but I truly believe that if he had to do it all over again, WW would do the exact same thing with the exception of leaving that book in his bathroom.

I think V.G brilliantly mislead the viewers to believe that Walt was actually a stand up guy. Maybe it was subconsciously. Throughout the whole show, WW repeats and repeats how much he loves his family, how he's doing it all for them, so maybe viewers bought into it. I think that's why he comes clean in the last show and pretty much says it was BS.

I don't think there's any question that he loves his family. But actions speak louder than words. If he really loved his family, then he wouldn't risk losing them over drugs, and he would have went to the Schwarts for cash.
As he said, he did it for himself. He needed this, it made him feel alive, awake.

I think people like WW because audiences generally like empowered characters that are not completely psychotic. But hey, sometimes they even like the crazy ones, like Dexter.
So I think it's just a habit of simply connecting to the main character. It's who you follow.