View Single Post
Old
09-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Personally I thought he was going to kill them, but what he did was even worse imo. It shows just how evil he actually is.
I disagree about redemption. At the end of it all, he ends up losing and hurting a lot of people, but I truly believe that if he had to do it all over again, WW would do the exact same thing with the exception of leaving that book in his bathroom.

I think V.G brilliantly mislead the viewers to believe that Walt was actually a stand up guy. Maybe it was subconsciously. Throughout the whole show, WW repeats and repeats how much he loves his family, how he's doing it all for them, so maybe viewers bought into it. I think that's why he comes clean in the last show and pretty much says it was BS.

I don't think there's any question that he loves his family. But actions speak louder than words. If he really loved his family, then he wouldn't risk losing them over drugs, and he would have went to the Schwarts for cash.
As he said, he did it for himself. He needed this, it made him feel alive, awake.

I think people like WW because audiences generally like empowered characters that are not completely psychotic. But hey, sometimes they even like the crazy ones, like Dexter.
So I think it's just a habit of simply connecting to the main character. It's who you follow.
What makes Walt sympathetic is his circumstance. In the first episode he's laughed at by his students, has a second job at the carwash (where he's laughed at again) his idiot brother in law laughs at him... and all the while he knows that he could've been a bigshot but had his ideas stolen from him. Then he gets cancer and it helpless to do anything about it...

People can identify with this. You want to root for a guy like this because we all want to believe that we can rise up and make our lives better and (even better) take revenge on those who've belittled us. It struck a chord with a lot of people and I think that's part of what is at the heart of us sympathizing with him.

I'm just glad the guy at least tried to redeem himself at the end and was finally honest about things. Unlike the Shakespearian characters I mentioned earlier... Walt finally recognizes and admits his fatal flaw. I didn't think this would happen. I just figured he'd deny everything to the end but (like all characters in this show) he evolves. To me, that's the key to redemption. If you can't acknowledge anything's wrong with yourself then how can you be redeemed? So Walt pays the price (deservedly so) but at least he finds redemption in the end.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 09-30-2013 at 09:54 PM.