View Single Post
Old
09-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree. He doesn't start off completely lost. That's what is so great about this show, the downward fall of Walt and how he progressively becomes worse and worse.
Counting how much he needs to make to secure his family's future is just a reason that he creates to justify increasing production/tapping out new markets/making more cash. We're also never told exactly how much he needs to make, all we know is that whatever he's currently making, it's not enough.

Walt quickly gets into this feeling of empowerment. He loves every bit of it. That's why he always wants more.
While everyone is entitled to his opinion, I think you're trying too hard on this one...

There's no doubt in my mind that Walt's first motive was his family. He then got caught up in a downward spiral the moment Skylar discovered what was happening and turned on him. I don't recall the exact season/episode, but I remember Walt saying at that point (paraphrasing) "Cooking meth is all I've got".

He wanted to provide for his family, the one and only thing he cared for... But once his family turned on him, he had nothing left outside of his drug empire. And so he just kept on keeping on.

At least that's how I see it.