View Single Post
Old
10-01-2013, 06:45 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I'm not defending the path he chose. Not accepting the money from his billionaire "friends" was nothing more than his ego and his pride getting the best of him. He probably also felt cheated by them due to how successful they became based on his contribution that went for the most part unnoticed.

I just don't think it HAS to be a black or white thing. He said throughout the whole show he did it for his family, but I think most people were aware there was some sort of breaking point that changed his mentality from providing for his family to living his actual life through Heisenberg. Walter saying in the show's finale that he did it for himself is, in my opinion, a sort of way to apologize for what he ended up doing to his family, basically ruining Skyler, Jr., Marie, his newborn baby and even Jesse's life. Like it's been said, he was looking for redemption and to die in peace, and to do that and tried to take away all of the blame with him (not that it should have been shared with anyone else to begin with, but him getting into the meth business in the first place to provide for his family sort of indicates that he did it because of them.
Well that's just it, I believe the breaking points happen in Episode one, when he goes from sad, bored, depressed, underachieving high school chemical teacher, to a Meth cook that develops the purest form of it on the market and also happens to have killed two guys (at least he believes it). You know, you're no longer normal after this happens.
You can say that his family was his priority motive, but I simply disagree.
I can't think of anybody that have their family in mind who would end up doing something completely out of character, hook up with a dealer, cook meth, start selling, and kill people. I think there are ulterior motives that are driving him and that's why no matter how many times he says that he'll quit, he gets back into it.

I always felt that him saying he's doing this for his family is just a reason he convinces himself of for the simple reason of not feeling guilty about what he's done/doing.