View Single Post
Old
10-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Agree completely (as we seem to have from the beginning). None of us (I hope) have been in the position of scrambling to make a mark before dying of a fatal disease. The cancer, the fortuitous drive-by with Hank where he first sees Jesse, the decision to cook meth as the way to make lots of quick cash, the psychopath dealers who are always one step away from killing him -- it's all a very contrived way to kick the show into gear and shove Walt down a path where his morality battles his ego and his survival instincts. As you said, if Walt hadn't been ground down so deeply by life before the cancer, he'd have very little motivation to climb up so high to compensate. The show would have no beginning.

Geez, if he'd been Canadian, the doctor would've told him he had cancer and that his free Medicare treatment starts next week. The end.

Good-guy Walt had no chance to thrive, and there was no show if he had. But good-guy Walt still hung on, even while Heisenberg's massive ego turned him into a raging egomaniac in the throes of total denial. I don't consider pride and ego to be 'evil', though the actions done in their names often are. Walt did some seriously evil stuff, but I maintain it's too easy to call him 'evil'. That simple description ignores all the conflict that fuelled Walter White through five seasons. If we acknowledge Walt's evil side, we also have to acknowledge his regret, his multiple attempts to save Jesse, his desperate stab at saving Hank, his final gambit to provide for his son, etc. Walt was that human side as much as he was his evil side. Anyone who doesn't get that has missed the great depth of this character and has, I think, missed the real point of this great series. There's nothing more interesting than a flawed character struggling with their flaws. Walt's flaws were huge and his struggle epic. That can only happen when the opposing sides of good and bad are balanced. If Walt was simply 'evil', there would have been no struggle, no battle, no drama, no interest.
As a high school teacher , if he lived in Ontario he would probably have a near 6 figure salary with 300 sick days banked, he could have gone onto a long term health leave making an indexed salary off a group benefits plan, or retired to an indexed pension, cashing in 6 months salary and double dipping as a supply teacher while managing tutoring assignments for $75/hr cash.

More lucrative than meth here in Ontari-ari-ari- owe.