View Single Post
Old
10-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
this is the point I am making, you waste a contract and 700k. something that could be usefull at the deadline. People say they can just bury Gill in the minors. That doesnt make the contract go away.
Gill is just like Gervais only bigger. he sucks but is fine as the 7th defenseman. why bring him in? just makes zero sense.
It has to be a security blanket for Gus if he continues to struggle with his game. Also, they might not be too happy with the play of our ahlers right now and feel they need more seasoning. I can see why this move was made, injuries killed us last year, and are bound to happen again. Gervais was just dreadful too, I would prefer gill to him.

As for the deadline, the team needs to be a playoff contender in order for us to worry about that down the road. 3.7 is still a significant amount of space, and other transactions can be done by March. Yes, Gill is taking a contract spot up, but it's not the end of the world or even our cap situation. I'm sure the Flyers management is more worried about making the team a contender right now than what they are going to do at the deadline. I'm not saying they aren't thinking ahead that far, but priority is making this team get to the playoffs. Gill gives them extra depth who can step in for a few games and you know exactly what he is giving you. You can't say that about any players in our system right now

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote