View Single Post
Old
10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Like others have said...Gill is the least suited player on D to play Lavis system. He is about as mobile as a tree sloth shot with a tranquilizer.....

It will be interesting to see how Gill fares with another coach depending on who it is. Maybe Murray would still use him when necesssary but another coach might let him rot in the pressbox even with injuries.
I guess I'm just not going to get overly concerned about what an 8/9 type defenseman brings to the table in terms of fitting into a system--if he's playing, we're already in trouble. He's a good lockerroom / practice guy and someone who is capable of killing penalties if he has to play. Both of those things have some (very limited) value.

The only scenario in which he sees the ice, it seems, is one in which both Mezsaros and Grossmann are hurt (I think Gustafsson probably dresses if just one of them are out). In that hypothetical scenario, our line-up would be something like:

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Gill
Gervais

If you don't have Gill, you'd have to roll Gus/Gervais, which seems worse to me. Neither Gus nor Streit figure to be get a lot of PK time.

Anyway, it isn't like I'm praising the signing, I just don't see the disastrous downside that some of you guys do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
If Gill is sent to the AHL, his full $700K counts towards the cap.

From Capgeek, quoting the CBA:
That's only for multi-year deals, no?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote