Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: PHI Signs Hal Gill - 1 year / $700k
View Single Post
Old
10-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Beyond our top six we have Gustafsson, Bourdon, Gervais, Manning, and Lauridsen. That's more then enough depth and if, by some really odd bad luck, we had a mad rash of injuries on D where our depth ran out there's always emergency contracts and random free agents (which Gill likely would have been one of) as well as minor trades to fill that.

Before you say Gill fills the role of Grossmann or Meszaros better, which I know you will, literally every D besides Gill that's either on our roster or mentioned above fits the Flyers system and method of play better then Gill.
- Bourdon is hurt, and is unlikely to play again.

- Manning and Lauridsen have not proven that they can play consistently at an NHL level.

- I'm already assuming Gustafsson is playing when I suggest that there would need to be two injuries.

- In the event that two of Coburn, Schenn, Grossmann, and Mezsaros are out, I'd rather Gill in the line-up than Gervais.

In other words, I disagree with your basic premise--that the players available in the Flyers system are better suited to a #8D role than Gill. I'd rather leave Alt, Lauridsen, etc. down in Glen Falls in the event that the Flyers suffer a bunch of injuries on the blue line.