Old
10-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Again, none of these are actually detrimental, are they?

The only real argument seems to be that he takes up a contract spot, and it seems to me that there are some guys who are even more clearly useless that never get talked about.

This feels like Homer bashing for no particular reason, that's all. I don't think anyone is psyched about the move, but to compare it to the Shelley signing or Kubina trade is a stretch. Both of those had tangible downsides (an over-market, multi-year deal for a role player, and giving up draft picks for a guy who didn't fit).
As part of a larger trend of signing the wrong players for a hard forechecking team, yes, I would say it's all concerning. It makes me wonder what the line of thought is. "My coach wants fast players who can press, attack, and hop into the play if need be. I shall sign old, immobile players who cannot do that."

As part of the far larger and longer trend of the Flyers not even being able to develop a D prospect who could beat out Gill, it's also concerning. Gus is the first guy in ages to break through, and apparently he's all we've got.