Thread: OT: Sabres on MSG?
View Single Post
Old
10-01-2013, 07:50 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
The Sabres used to have their own TV channel--Empire which was part of the John Rigas empire. He owned the Sabres at the time. He and at least some of his family members are now in federal prison for a variety of crimes. After the 97 season when the Rangers started missing the playoffs with regularity you could watch their Empire channel and it was regular business of them (not just for Rangers games but throughout any given season) to run the Rangers down even if we weren't a direct rival in the same division. More or less the spiel was the Rangers were an example of everything wrong about hockey--spending lots of $ for a bunch of has been mercenaries on retirement contracts. Leading the league in payroll but can't make the playoffs. Ha--****ing-ha ha. The Sabres on the other hand were doing all the right things that a franchise should do--building their team from the ground up blah, blah, blah. It's not that there wasn't a lot of truth in that critique but it's ironic at least to me that after the entire Rigas apparatus collapsed and half that family ****ed off to prison that they should come hat in hand to the NHL and the Rangers about TV rights and thereafter should have some of their games forced upon Rangers fans who just happen to live upstate just because their television channel no longer exists. They have a super rich owner now with deep pockets. He should invest in a new one.

Which is to say I don't particularly care that some of our games are preempted for some of theirs. Pretty much **** them. Which is also to say where I grew up here in the Southern Tier--Elmira, Corning, Binghamton, Ithaca--the much greater % of hockey fans here are Rangers fans--not Sabres fans. There are probably more Islanders and Bruins fans than there are Sabres fans as well and it's not hard to figure out--the Rangers have been broadcasting here pretty much since the 60's whether it was WOR or MSG. Sabres--maybe the late 80's-early 90's. So it's bizarre to me when even now there are more Rangers fans around here that we get to watch the Sabres sometimes instead--on the Rangers broadcast channel.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote