View Single Post
Old
10-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't see them winning a Cup either, I just see them as a potential pain in the ass. Our goaltending is weaker and we historically take a lot of penalties...so there's a solid chance we play to their strength.

Yeah good point there. That has more to do with us being stupid with penalties (hi Hartnell) then them though.

Kind of moot to talk about them being a pain in the ass though when, at this point, you're at the same thought process I am I believe. That thought process being that we're not going anywhere this season without a proper coach for this team. Plus every team is a pain in the ass really since it's a pro league, but I do get what you're saying about them being especially a pain in the ass. Also, as far as their goaltending, I wouldn't say it's better then ours just yet. Definitely has much better potential, but people seem to forget that beyond the lockout season Holtby only had 21 games played in his NHL career stretched across two seasons. He's also still only 24 years old.

He posted great numbers last season, but that was also one season and it was a lockout season where the Caps did well at that. I mean, just comparing that to our supposedly weaker goaltending, Mason put up a Calder worthy rookie season then faded strongly after that. At this point there's no reason to think the same can't happen to Holtby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
the caps can roll out 4 scoring lines. Holtby is a better goalie than we have on our team and their d is Top heavy but their bottom pairing is pretty bad.

I have a feeling the Metropolitan is going to be a very hard division.
They could try to run four scoring lines I don't see it working though. Beyond the top three most talented offensive forwards of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Grabrovski their best two after that are Johanssen and Erat. Beyond those five, it gets kind of sad with guys like Fehr and Wilson being their best hope for putting up numbers. When I think of a team that can run four scoring lines I think of our team to be honest. We have six guys that should be good for at least 50 to 60 points or more and beyond them we have some youth with potential in the bottom six. That's about as good as it gets as far as rolling four scoring lines in the NHL. The Caps run a top heavy team I think more then anything which is the opposite of what we do. Especially with Perreault gone.

As far as the Metropolitan being tough, yeah it will be. Then again the old Atlantic division was always at least tied for the toughest division year-in and year-out.

Last edited by Garbage Goal: 10-01-2013 at 10:30 PM.