Thread: Player Discussion: Valeri Nichushkin
View Single Post
Old
10-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Dundalis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
The issue is that in Nichushkin's release from his KHL contract, it says he has to play in the NHL or return to Russia. He can't play in the AHL.

Either way, I think he's ready, and he'll be sheltered a bit, so I'm very confident that he'll stay in Dallas all season.

The last thing we want him to do is struggle and Dallas, get sent back to Russia, tear it up there and never want to come back.
This is not a condition written into his contract. It's purely a handshake agreement. It's up to Nichushkin as to whether he breaks that or not, there are no repercussions as I understand it. I think a short stint in the AHL would be agreeable if that situation came up. I think any drop in play will likely come from fatigue and rather than send him down, they may rest him from a couple of games here and there as a healthy scratch or drop him to the 4th line and reduce his minutes.

As for Nichushkin becoming a Malkin type offensive player, he'd have to significantly change his style. I'm not saying he can't or won't, but as he is, he's on track to become something similar to Rick Nash offensively. Nash is an incredible talent who IMO has not lived up to his potential. Based on his skillset he should be a PPG player every year. His style has somewhat limited his offensive output though IMO.

We will see if Nichushkin can adapt his style over the next few years to become a bit more multi-dimensional. That will determine if he's a consistent 60-70 point player or an 80-90.