Old
10-02-2013, 01:11 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I am not sure what Hextall has done to warrant such admiration as an assistant GM. LA was terrible for a long time, which is not something he cant do in Philly, and acquired a ton of draft choices. There was a lot of misses in those choices: Thomas Hickey, Colton Teubert, and Derek Forbort from the 1st round. He got there in June of 2006 so I am not sure if Bernier and Lewis is on him but it is not an impressive record for 1st round drafting especially compared to Holmgren.

LA was terrible for a long time, sold off their team multiple times at the deadline, and acquired a lot of picks and thus assets that they traded to get over the top. That strategy, though successful, does not work with the Flyers ownership and 18,000 season ticket holders. He will be under a totally different set of circumstances and expectations here. Nothing about LA will apply to Philly. Case in point, fans calling for Holmgren to be fired after missing the playoffs once during a strike shortened season.
Well honestly, he hasn't done a lot that we know of. But he's a recognizable/popular name coming from a team that just had success, and by all accounts a GM spot is in his future. He's definitely paid his dues, starting off in the scouting department over a decade ago and working his way up.

What makes me excited is the possibility he knows goalies. What gives me pause is Quick was drafted before he got there, and Bernier was drafted at around the same time...so who knows how involved he was with that decision.

I definitely prefer him to Hanrahan, who has done a questionable job as the CBA guy/capologist.