View Single Post
Old
10-02-2013, 10:28 AM
McRanger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
His "rare" physical tools have never shown up on the scoresheet. I judge by results, not by how something looks.

Sometimes teams trade players too soon. Sometimes, too late.

He may become a player. So far, he is absolutely not one.

I cut him slack because he has some tools. Sometimes I think he would be better off as a great defensive forward.
That's not really true.

He led the Eagles in scoring when they won the NCAA title. He was one of the leading goal scorers on both USA WJC teams. He was one of the top scorers for the Rangers in the '11 playoffs.

Really the only disappointing "year" he's had was last year.

What Kreider has had in abundance is disappointing "shifts" and occasionally even "games". At BC there were long stretches where he would be completely invisible, gliding around the ice aimlessly in the offensive zone. He didn't do it regularly until last year.

Which is a huge concern.

I wrote this in February and I think it still applies:

Quote:
I guess I just don't buy the "it's in his head" argument. This isn't about a guy nervously shooting the puck into the goalies chest or making a tentative play in the defensive zone because he is afraid to make a mistake. This is about him not playing at the intensity level the coach wants to see. Forget finishing a check, just keep your damn feet moving. And even if that does not END UP being "Kreiders game" he needs to do that NOW.

The bottom line for me? The fact that a smart, hard working, extraordinarily fast and extremely strong young man can't seem to summon 5 minutes of noticeable skating is a little frightening.
I've never seen a motivated, skating Kreider not succeed. I've never seen a motivated and skating Kreider not produce.

I am not concerned about his gifts. I am very concerned about his motivation.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote