View Single Post
Old
10-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Perjong

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
If I am listenting to a sports radio show and I hear one of the hosts go off about how he had three glasses of pino and schmoozed cougars then called up Jan Bulis and they went for pizza, that's dead air. That's 3-5 minutes that could have been used to talk about a hockey matchup, NFL news, the MLB playoffs, whatever. Simmer is pretty bad for this (he has seemed to have toned it down, to his credit), but he hasn't been the only one in the station to fall into the trap of thinking people actually care about him instead of his take. And getting boring fast? You can switch speeds talking about sports and make it fresh. Guests, debates, previews...
That is not dead air. That's probably more interesting than any of the on-topic stuff. And what is 3-5 minutes anyways? They have 4 hours to talk about whatever bit of sports nonsense you are interested in. They would have even more time without the phone interviews with meaningless and unimportant guests they have on in the afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Completely disagree. Wildly inappropriate, borderline racist trash (Jimmy Yip takes) has no room on a sports radio station, especially one owned by a massive media conglomerate. I'm selective about the stuff I listen to, if I hear stuff on Team1200 that is racist or so on, I pen a letter to CBSC and let them know. It usually ends up cleaning things up considerably.
So having a Chinese guy on the radio talking about golf is now racist? What? Or replaying his "Hu Tang Long Bang Tony Chang and Jimmy Yip Golf Academy and Smorgasbord" sound bite? How is that racist.

And you just made my point by saying what does and doesn't belong on a station owned by a massive media conglomerate. Being owned by that conglomerate means it now has to be a squeaky clean, boring station. You're the typical white person who likes to be offended so he can write and complain about it. No wonder the station has gotten dull.

And again, about Mendez, I am sure he is a fine sports person, but his voice doesn't suit the radio, especially for 4 hours.