View Single Post
Old
10-02-2013, 05:10 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not an Eager fan at all so I find it weird I'm defending him.

My take is that Eager saw the writing on the wall last season and played real hard in OKC spent the offseason determined to do somthing about it. So he comes into camp in the best shape he's been in in years, is firing lasers out there any chance he gets, actually scores a goal on limited minutes, and its the bums rush out the door? Does anybody think Eager played poorly this preseason? Does anybody think he got much of a chance. Fact is Eager played well in OKC last season. Fact is he did everything he could with limited minutes this preseason. What more then? If the Oilers were already determined not to have him in the show then why have him occupying a spot throughout preseason?

I get that people think Mike Brown is the energizer bunny or something. But that just isn't the case and what you get with Brown is somebody that has trouble playing hockey, doesn't put fear into anybody, can't keep up to the pace, doesn't hit all that much, and quickly disappears into the landscape like he did last season as his performances became very disinterested.

My take is Eager is the most determined he's been in a long while. Why not make use of that for awhile?
We can give him a gold star for all the effort he put in the preseason but the fact is, Gazdic showed more in his first NHL shift than we saw from Eager in the last two years.

At his best, Eager gives us that maybe a quarter of the time. He got outplayed badly by a kid hungry to earn an NHL spot. In no way, shape, or form can one use the word "hungry" when describing Eager.

Is Eager better than Brown? No reason to think so, but even if we pretend he is, they play different wings, so I don't see the relevance in terms of a roster spot.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote