View Single Post
Old
10-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Smyth in his second year had 39 goals and 61 points.
Eberle in his second year had 34 goals and 76 points. He had a better offensive season than anything Ryan Smyth has done in a 17 year career.

Not to mention that Hall in his 3rd year finished with 50 points in 45 years and top 10 in NHL scoring, something Ryan Smyth has never even come close to flirting with.

All that being said, it is completely irrelevant. What Ryan Smyth did 17 years ago, or 10 years ago, or 3 years ago doesn't matter. As it stands now he is a borderline contributor. In an ideal situation he plays very limited minutes at ES and maybe gets some PP time in front of the net. He can't keep up with the play, especially when being played with the teams faster players.

I agree, Smyth can contribute if used properly. But him being used properly is him playing 8-10 minutes a night.
I probably could have phrased that better. I did say Eberle, Hall, Yak, are more talented. Then and now. Smyth is a plumber that managed to get 39 goals and has scored at least 30 several times. I dare say they'll be more 30 goal seasons in Smyths canon then Eberles. I see fall off with Eberle which happens to a lot of players once their tendencies are scouted. He's had a harder time since.
Eberle also had benefit of more years training before he hit tHe NHL, a privilege Ryan Smyth didn't have.
I'll say this too. Theres no way Eberle comes close to the +400 goals Smyth has scored in career. To put this in perspective Jordan would have to score 11 consecutive 30 goal years to come out where Smyth is in goals scored. I sincerely doubt Jordan lasts even that long as a player. I see a guy that could be stopped physically by age 30.

Eberle has all kinds of talent. But disappears and is fairly easily shutdown in games. His lack of strength being a real problem. Jets defenders weren't having any trouble with Eberle last night. If Eberle had to play playoff hockey 7 game series against guys like Derrian Hatcher and get hacked 100 times in the series as the go to goal scorer I doubt he makes it to the end of it. Smyth has survived all kinds of pain in intense hockey that Eberle wouldn't know a thing about and doesn't seem too interested in finding out. Thus more and more peripheral play from Jordan that we are seeing already.

Last edited by Replacement: 10-02-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote