View Single Post
Old
10-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Completely absurd and no way to back it up. Eberle has been an elite level goal scorer every level he has played at. He scored at a 27 goal pace last year. Smyth scored 39 and didn't hit 20 again for 2 more seasons. He's had 4 30 goal seasons in his career.

It is absolutely impossible to determine how long Eberle will play in the league, but I can just as easily predict he will play until he is 40 because he knows how to avoid big hits and keeps his head up.

I didn't catch the rest of your post before I responded, but it is unfair to say how Eberle would react in a tough playoff series. We've never been in one. I will say one thing though, he had a broken finger last year and didn't miss a game. Now I'm sure you could try and brush it off, but I imagine it hurts a hell of a lot to break your finger and play night in and night out.
Eberle is shy of physical contact and already playing like a shadow of what he did in 11-12. Clearly more of a peripheral game now. I think that will be the best year of his career and a fair amount of people in the blogoshphere hold this opinion of the player.

I think he won't stand up well to heavy traffic and constant damage. Just yesterday I was looking at him getting tossed in the boards continually and him picking himself back up. Wear already starting to show and it was most of last season. What was most striking last year, and last night, is how little resistance Eberle can offer in puck battles. He's beat as soon as theres a scrum.

Its not completely unfair to say how Eberle would react in a tough playoff series. He disappears against any team playing a unified system and physical game and which happened even at AHL level. Some teams were just shutting him down. This happened again just last Friday.

He's real good though at making hay against weaker efforts. I'll give him that. But a guy like that its questionable if he's ever there in the intense playoff games.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote