View Single Post
Old
11-28-2006, 07:58 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The thing is though, we have too many defencemen. Niniimaa will be gone, there's no doubt about this. We have Markov who is our best defencemen, in his own end and his offensive flair. Bouillon is a work-horse who will jump in the rush and rarely loses battles. Dandenault is great defensively, has versatility to be played on the wing and has great wheels, also has won a stanley cup. Rivet is steady, we all know what we get from him. Streit has a great shot, offensive instincts, needs to work on his own zone. Cote is a young Rivet without the leadership qualities.

With all of these defensemen in our system, I say it wouldn't be hard to put Emelin in there, give him some minutes, but you don't have to play him top minutes like Souray. But you can put him in place of Souray on the powerplay for his cannon of a shot.

That being said, I don't want to lose Souray. So don't think that's what I am implying.
The number of defensemen is a problem, but the bigger problem is the quality of defensemen we have imo. We have a balance and we can get by, but I don't see how we win a Cup with this group unless Buffalo, Anaheim, etc. have some serious injuries come playoff time. I'm measuring everything against a Cup, not against being competitive. Competitive is nice, we're there. The next level is contender.

I don't want to lose Souray either, but he needs a better partner than Rivet and Rivet needs a better partner than him. And we can't afford that guy if we pay Souray, Rivet, Markov the market rate.

It's unsolveable. So something has to be done to break the logjam and remake the D in the offseason, or even now with a trade if possible (and not for a Niinimaa type either).

Of course, the other possibility is that I'm wrong...

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote