View Single Post
Old
10-03-2013, 09:27 AM
AlexBrovechkin8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Thanks - that's definitely enough depth to be able to deal a winger for a top 4 d-man.

What did Orlov do to not even get a chance at the role? I thought he looked really solid a couple of years ago?
He did look really solid a few years ago. Last season he had a concussion and missed a lot of time, and when he did play in Hershey he didn't play well (by the accounts of those who saw him regularly). His preseason was nothing special, in fact it was pretty bad, and he was sent down to the AHL again.

The other problem with Orlov is he is left-handed but plays RD. Adam Oates is the most OCD coach I've ever seen about handedness being on the proper side, so he wants Orlov to switch to LD.

Orlov as a 2LD on this team isn't ideal either because he likes to move the puck in a similar role to Carlson who would be his partner. Orlov can certainly be a top 4 D given the right situation, I just don't think it'll be in DC. Adding a competent 2LD to the Caps allows Erskine to move to 3LD. Erskine is a perfect 3LD but too slow to be a competent 2LD, and Erskine and Carlson have zero chemistry.

Orlov + Laich/Brouwer would fetch a solid return, add a pick or prospect and they could solve their 2LD problem for years to come without creating any other holes on the roster. Of course this is all for not as GMGM will not pull the trigger.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote