View Single Post
Old
10-03-2013, 11:18 AM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
This linemates argument is used very selectively around here. It is used to defend players who put up bad numbers (Sean Couturier), and also to discredit players who put up good numbers (Bobby Ryan). While linemates certainly have an effect on how you play, I think it is greatly overrated around here when it is convenient. Yes, Sean Couturier would likely put up better numbers with better linemates. And Yes Bobby Ryan likely would put up lower numbers with worse linemates. But it isn't like Couturier would be a superstar if playing with guys not named Talbot and Rinaldo, just like it isn't like Bobby Ryan would not be a nobody playing on a line with guys not named Getzlaf or Perry.
I don't really think anybody is arguing the last part though. If Couturier played with decent linemates, he doesn't have to be flanked by all-stars just better players then Talbot and Rinaldo, he'd put up numbers that people around here would at least be content with. Instead his lack of production is seen as a sign of a lack of offensive talent. But the thing that bothers me most is that we are one game into the season and we are already talking about this. So I assume most people arguing Couturier is a dud are basing this off his offensive numbers from last yr. Just seems really stupid to me.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote