View Single Post
Old
01-16-2004, 08:24 AM
drewcon40

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
Its funny that the people that say they can sit through rebuliding really can't. Look at the prospects sather has drafted. What you want is something instant. But what you have is a team and an organization that is on the right path.
JarJar - I am not going to knock you on your opinion of Sather. But I have to agree with Potter and Singin'. I do not feel we are any closer to a cup now then we were in March 2000 when Neil Smith and John Muckler got the old, as Donald Trump has been saying..."you're fired."

Carpinello had a great article today. In it, was a quote from John Madden on why the Devils are so successful:

"I think we have the expectations that we have to win here,'' said John Madden, who seamlessly replaced Holik when he bolted for the Rangers before last season. "That's the way it's been since I joined the organization seven years ago. You also have to keep in mind that the organization keeps their core guys, like Scott Stevens, Nieder (Scott Niedermayer), Marty (Brodeur), Pando (Jay Pandolfo), Sergei Brylin. As long as you keep your core guys, those guys keep everybody in check and on the same page. I think that's the big thing. When you've got a lot of people coming in and out and they're on different pages, that makes it tough.''

The Devils, Red Wings, Colorado all follow similar blueprints on building a winning team. Sure, the Red Wings brought in Hasek, Hull, Robitalle, etc when they won the cup a couple of years ago. But, the core of players were there and have been there for a while. This year, the Avalanche signed Karyia and Selanne but the core is still there.

Those teams bring in the "star" player to fill a role. I think both Slats and Neil try to buy their core players, where the above teams developed their core players.

The impateience that JarJar mentions is not because of wanting to win now. It is frustration It is because there are no signs of our future core players getting the ice time on the big club to form the chemistry and success that the winning teams do. I also beleive that if we went with a roster of younger players (not a total rebuild) but if younger players occupied more of the roster, that we'd be higher in the standings. The younger players would be harder working and that I feel is much more valuable than an unmotivated, once talented veteran.