View Single Post
Old
10-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Both teams were tough but they were also skilled. How did fighting help them win the Cup? Anaheim had four fights in the playoffs. Three of them were against Minnesota. How did fighting help them win against Vancouver? Detroit? Ottawa?

Boston had 5 fights during their cup run. No enforcers fought. How did these five fights contribute to their Cup win? Did fighting stop Aaron Rome from cleaning Horton's clock? Did fighting stop Burrows from biting Bergeron? Did fighting stop Lapierre from acting like a goof?
I did mention that they led the NHL in fights during the regular season. The last Cup winning team to do this was the 1975 Flyers, if I am correct. They didn't fight outside of the first round much for the reason that they had already set the tone before hand. The 1974 Flyers/Bruins Cup final should have had bench clearing brawls, yet it didn't. O'Reilly and Schultz had the only series fighting major. Why is this? A tone was set, a mood was set. Neither team came into the Cup final with a wimpy reputation and each team knew this. Therefore the mere threat of a fight made each team behave. See, Anaheim did this already in the regular season. They were a tough, tough team in 2007. Look at the names of the guys who could drop the gloves: Parros, O'Brien, Thornton, Moen, Pronger, May. They had already established the reputation of instilling fear into the other team. This team is the best team since the Broad Street Bullies to combine skill and intimidation for a Cup win.

The 2011 Bruins were sort of the same way. Lucic, Chara, and again, Shawn Thornton. Not to mention there were lots of fisticuffs in the 2011 final. Lots of roughing penalties. Do you think near the end of Game 6 it was an accident that the Sedins were on the ice at the same time as Marchand and Thornton? Nope. The team got better once Thornton was inserted into the line up. They tested the Canucks, and the Canucks failed horribly. Game 3 had lots of fights, geez, Tim Thomas purposely came out of his net to body check Sedin. Rarely has there been a softer team that has gotten so far in a playoff year than the Canucks. But it caught up with them.

Quote:
Crosby has had Laraque, Rupp, Godard and Macintrye. Three of those players were/are some of the best enforcers in the game. They didn't help at all. MacIntrye played about 12 games then he was cut. Which shows me enforcers aren't needed. If Crosby wanted one, I am sure Shero would get one.
You would think, but not if he has the mindset he says he does. Laraque wasn't around very long, that was a smart pick-up a la Semenko for Gretzky, but it didn't last. You dont need to be dropping the gloves every game to make a point though. It is the deterrent factor that keeps players behaving. Think of an enforcer as a disciplinarian. Or a parent.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote