View Single Post
Old
01-16-2004, 08:33 AM
Artie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Perrault would easliy clear waivers, with the $ situation as tight as it is in today's NHL. So, the answer to the above question is that the Habs would probably get a lot less for a package of Perrault and a third than they would get for a deal including a fourth or fifth rounder straight up.

That isn't as much a statement on Perrault (who can still help some teams) as much as it is an observation about the economic situation in the NHL.
You are right that given the current economic conditions, players clearing waivers has less to do with their value and contribution as a player and more to do with contract and $$$ involved. But unlike Audette, who teams ignored knowing he was out of favor with the Habs and on his way out anyways, I don't think Gainey would get rid of Perrault via waivers and contract buyout simply because he is still contributing to the team.

As for his value, at minimum it has to be whatever the compensation is for losing him as a FA (I'm not 100% sure there is compensation). At most I would say 3rd round pick. He seems to be getting slower on the draw (his one claim to fame).