View Single Post
Old
10-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
I dont necessarily agree with the better goal scoring, the difference is negligible and can be accounted for by the better linemates. His goal scoring dropped below Kessels (albeit slightly) when he was moved off Getzlafs line, so we can assume that with a true #1 C Kessel could amass an additional 4-5 goals putting him in line with Ryans totals. At the very least the two are equal calibre goal scorers.
Oh, I don't think the two are very different. I believe they'll both get in the 30 - 40 range next season. The point is that the idea that Kessel is in an entirely different league offensively doesn't hold up. Ryan is as good or better a goal scorer, and Kessel is a better playmaker. Because there are two assists handed out for every goal,playmakers always have more points than scorers. So, to me, the points difference between the players is not all that meaningful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Ryans defensive game and grittiness is overblown, sure he is better but hes not among the league leaders in these categories and these strengths are not utilized by the team (PK for example), so it isnt some game breaking aspect of his games that will make up the gap between offensive output.

He isn't a league leader, for sure. But, a big strong winger who has over a hundred hits a year, can play in his own zone, and also score 30+ a season is a pretty rare commodity in the NHL. Kessel is simply not that well rounded a player.

I don't buy the one-dimensional soft label that some here are applying to Kessel but I also don't think he is a very complete player. At best, he is OK defensively and doesn't have any real physical game.

Kessel is "mentally tough" he is just not a power forward, and I think Ryan can play that game when he needs to.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote