View Single Post
Old
10-04-2013, 02:55 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Oh, I don't think the two are very different. I believe they'll both get in the 30 - 40 range next season. The point is that the idea that Kessel is in an entirely different league offensively doesn't hold up. Ryan is as good or better a goal scorer, and Kessel is a better playmaker. Because there are two assists handed out for every goal,playmakers always have more points than scorers. So, to me, the points difference between the players is not all that meaningful.

He isn't a league leader, for sure. But, a big strong winger who has over a hundred hits a year, can play in his own zone, and also score 30+ a season is a pretty rare commodity in the NHL. Kessel is simply not that well rounded a player.

I don't buy the one-dimensional soft label that some here are applying to Kessel but I also don't think he is a very complete player. At best, he is OK defensively and doesn't have any real physical game.

Kessel is "mentally tough" he is just not a power forward, and I think Ryan can play that game when he needs to.
The thing is your not comparing a goal scorer to a playmaker, your comparing a goal scorer to a goalscorer who is a significantly better playmaker. A player that is just as good at passing as he is at scoring is also a rare commodity and not many players can split their points as well as Kessel can.

What I'm trying to say is that Ryan isnt a Lucic type power forward where he is physically dominant, or a Backes type power forward where he will receive Selke votes perennially, he is just average at both much like JVR is a power forward that is average at both. His defensive game and physical games are almost a non-factor as they arent to the level where it is a game-breaking aspect which is why i dont consider it as much of an advantage as Kessel's playmaking.

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote