View Single Post
Old
10-04-2013, 03:33 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
I think Joensuu realized that if he wants to play in the NHL, he'd have to embrace his physical gifts. He used to play a much more passive skill game.

The Islanders have tried to get him to embrace the physical side of the game since he came over to North America, and it only began to stick in 2010-2011...but he was still inconsistent in bringing that kind of game every night. During this time his skating was still a big issue as he had poor balance and edges. His straightaway speed was fine, but he was falling to ice and losing puck battles way more often than you'd like to see from a big guy like him.

I think we got lucky that he was injured for much of last season, really, as the Islanders decided to cut their losses without seeing what he could finally bring.
Good stuff.

When I looked at his history and saw that he basically missed a season due to injury my first thought was that he didnt get an opportunity to show if he matured. He was only 23 that last time he had an extended period of games with the Isles.

He is now 25 and more mature...assuming this is the player we will have all season his timing from an Oilers perspective couldnt have been better. They desperately need his skill set.

I am pulling for him big time.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote