View Single Post
Old
10-05-2013, 01:37 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Really cool stuff, man. Do you go on any guitar/gear boards? I used to go on Harmony Central a bit but stopped when they re-did the site. Some of the guys there post their builds all they way through from start to finish and I'm always in awe of what some regular people can do. I say regular meaning that isn't their career but a hobby. I wish I had a shred of talent for that sort of thing but I'm useless with my hands in any constructive sense. I do more harm than good with tools which is why I sit at a desk all day. Even playing the guitar is a bit like a square peg in a round hole but I love it so much that I've forced myself to get better at it over the years.

If there are three things I love in life it is hockey, guitars and women. Probably in that order... well, you could interchange hockey and guitars on any given year but women are always a distant 3rd.
We are kindred spirits Buddy. The only thing I would add is family.

I used to be an advisor on the old Harmony site but they sure ruined things when they changed up. I was exactly the same way you were when it comes to working with my hands but then I spent a few months with Denny Zager and his family and he forced me to learn how to do a proper set up on a guitar. It took me a long time to get it (pitch sustain and balance married to the ease of playability is the key to a great guitar is what Denny used to say to me a million times a day).

Once I did the instrument just sort of opened up to me and I asked for a hand on building one. It took several attempts to get a good one and even then Denny made me french polish the dang thing so it took forever to finish.

That was decades ago and I have built a bunch of guitars since then. If you ever want to really try your hand at it for cheap I know of a couple of kit makes that are solid and you end up with a great guitar when your done.

Do you play acoustic or electric more often?

Favorite guitar(s)?

I play everything with strings on it or at least everything I play that has strings on it sounds pretty much the same. Average with fleeting moments of slightly above average only to return right back to average.

Other then my own I love everything. I have my favorite builders but I have several post war Japanese clone models that were hand built by the best and I love them. I have a bunch of old Gibson and Martin guitars but I don't play the all too often. For the last few years I have been building and playing Irish Bouzuki's.

Oh well back to work.