View Single Post
Old
10-06-2013, 11:29 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If Homer were to ever trade Coburn, there is no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't need to retain salary. It really is two games into the season though, much more time is needed to evaluate the new players and how this team will gel. If it is still going bad around the 10 game mark, then it's time to start thinking about firing the coach if they still are struggling. No reason to trade any players until the deadline also if they are in that position, drive up there price.
The "new" players are veterans who have been around the league long enough that it should take them next to no time to get themselves acclimated to the team. Coburn has been here long enough now that he is what he is - an inconsistent defenseman who can be all world one minute and extremely mediocre the next.

I feel for Coburn though because I really think he doesn't know what Laviolette wants from him. I get the impression that Laviolette barks at him to play a defensive style and when Coburn does, Laviolette barks at him for not being more offensive. It's a no win situation and I can see why a guy like Coburn often looks out of the loop (I can't believe it, but I'm actually defending Coburn).

And it's not just Coburn. The rest of the players just look confused by what Laviolette is telling them. And that right there usually means he's lost the group and he needs to go. I could see a coach with a defensive acumen coming in here and getting through to Coburn and him being better for it. He'll never be a world beater, but there's no reason to believe he can't be an effective shut down defender with elite skating ability.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote