View Single Post
Old
10-06-2013, 12:38 PM
zarley zelepukin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
If I recall he was on an abslute offensive tear when he go his concussion.

The unbolded things in the quote are all spot on, and he probably needs to go. However...

Richards is good, but Simmonds alone has outscored him over the last two seasons. Then you add in the value of Schenn and the second rounder and I think it more than makes up for the things Richards can do that Simmonds can't (nvm some of the things Simmonds can do that Richie can't, and age and cap flexibility).

The Pronger and Mezsaros trades are only a mistake if You have a crystal ball and know they're both going to lose huge time to injuries. That's an unreasonable expectation. A 2nd rounder for Mesaros was a decent trade. He won the award for best Flyers defenseman the year after we got him. He's yet to hit hiss tride since then though.

Matt Carle was a 25 minute a night defenseman on this team for years. And a productive one at that. That trade was fine.

He brought in Lavi, who subsequently coached this team to the Finals with a terrible, possibly blind goalie in net.

If we're gonna cucify him let's do it for the right reasons.
As GarbageGoal said, the systems and responsibilities that Richards and Simmonds have to work with are very different. I think in a system like Lavi's we would see Richards putting up more points again. In a vacuum, the trade works fine because we got back a lot of talent, but this team still has trouble doing things that Richards is very good at, like playing defense. Not to mention that we've been waiting for the younger players we got to develop while we've been in "win now" mode with some older defensemen. It just didn't make sense.

I agree with the rest though. I was a supporter of Holmgren for awhile, but the last few years he's lost me.

zarley zelepukin is online now   Reply With Quote