View Single Post
Old
10-06-2013, 12:53 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The frustrating thing about watching all of this unfold is that fixing the mess isn't that hard. Tightening the system up and playing a little more defensively is the easiest thing that can be done.

I look at how the Bruins played before Claude Julien came onboard and they were terrible. Dave Lewis had them playing horribly. Nobody knew what their roles were and they were all over the place. Claude Julien comes in, tightens things up and they turned it around in no time flat.

I also look at the Toronto Maple Leafs. Look at how they played when Ron Wilson was the head coach. They played the way the Flyers are currently playing. Randy Carlyle comes on board, tightens things up a bit defensively, and they're a much better team for it. Yes, they can still attack when they need to, but at the same time, they're more refined defensively and are a better team for it.

It won't take much to turn the Flyers around. This is a significantly talented club that is just in need of some serious direction. That's the one thing that's really hurting this club. They're looking to their coach to provide that direction and all what he can bark back is that it's players, not the system that's at fault.
What's really interesting -- and this speaks to how cyclical the coaching/personnel game is -- is that these comments, especially the bolded, are exactly what people were saying in the 09-10 season. The Flyers did not have much of a system with Stevens. Then Lavy came in and they started playing more aggressive and acting within a certain framework.

Now we've reached the point that Lavy's gotten stale. I actually really like him, but I feel the same way about him that I felt about Stevens 4 years ago: I think we've gone as far with him as we're going to go. I don't know who a realistic replacement is, though.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote