Thread: Value of: Gaborik @ the trade deadline
View Single Post
Old
10-06-2013, 07:54 PM
alphafox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Gaborik is a fantastic player. One of my favorites in the game, but look at what the Rangers got for him. The price will be way less then that for a half a season.
There are a few issues with that assessment of his value.

1st is the fact that we would be hypothetically dealing with a Gaborik who is having a significantly better year than his final year in NY, which would be a major increase in value. 2nd Gaborik's value was also heavily influenced by his feud with Torts which brought down the value of that was sent to NY. Finally, IMO the hit to value to a team chasing the cup of not having the player singed long term (particularly when they get exclusive time to negotiate a contract) is not that great because you pay whatever premium you have to too load up for a cup run.

I'll concede that my valuations are off, possibly by a large margin, and if they are I have to rescind my previous statement that Gaborik will be traded regardless. I don't see the Jackets moving Gaborik without returning an elite level player or a player with elite potential as that is the glaring hole in their team at this point.

EDIT:
Also I think you're underestimating the package that was sent to NY for Gaborik. Moore (a rising star on the blue line) and Brassard are two very gifted young players (though Brass never put it together for the CBJ) and Dorsett is the sort of sandpaper guy that NY was missing at the time having lost Prust to the Canadiens.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote