View Single Post
Old
11-30-2006, 12:23 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Cullen was brought in as a temporary stop-gap on the 2nd line, in the event one of the kids (Immonen) didn't come through. As much as fans say there's a gap at center, I don't see it being one the Rangers intend to try to fill from outside anytime soon. After all they purposely CREATED room at center this summer by dumping Moore.

I find it mystifying how many Rangers fans are calling for this team to return to the days of old, where youth and prospects are traded away for over-the-hill "stars". In the past week or two, I've heard the names Federov, Naslund, and Forsberg all mentioned by Rangers fans as players that are on the block that the Rangers should go after. Have we learned nothing from all those years of futility? Not to mention that each makes near or over $6m, which is more cap space that the team has available. And give me one reason why any team would take one of the high-paid dregs we have on defense in order for us to free up the necessary cap space -- unless they're getting double on their return in picks or prospects. No thanks.

In the era of free agency, it makes less and less sense to trade away the farm to get a big name NOW, unless you're confident you're going to be making a serious run at the cup NOW. And frankly, there are too many gaps needing to be filled on the Rangers for them to seriously threaten this year.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote