View Single Post
Old
10-07-2013, 02:12 AM
billybudd
5 cups pls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
This is a huge mistake Shero is making. But that's another story for the Penguins. You have the best player in the last decade and you allow him to be picked on the way he's been for 8 years? Whatever, I'm not the GM. His dad wouldn't have stood for that for a second though.
The season Crosby got hurt, the Penguins lead the league in fights. Rupp, Asham, and Engelland were every-night players. Godard played about half the games he wasn't on IR (broken hand and broken orbital). Didn't really matter.

While I'm a big believer in fights as disencouraging overly physical play, Crosby hasn't really been a victim of that in his career. Orpik hit him with a slapshot, Steckel's an uncoordinated, tunnel-visioned clod (who once made a near identical "hit" on Backstrom during a linechange...they were teammates) and Hedman (who is possibly the softest player in the league) made a hit that wasn't particularly juicy and likely would have done bupkiss without the Steckel collision.

There was some early stuff with Hatcher, but that ended when Hatcher was like a minus 5 one game and Stevens(? might have been Hitchcock) started actively avoiding that matchup.

I guess Crosby was punched by Chara in this year's playoffs, but I don't know what you're suggesting should have been done about that. If MacIntyre would have been dressed and sent for retribution, the refs would have just chucked him on a phantom misconduct before he could have done anything.

I know this because the referees did exactly that to save Chris Neil (who had some beef with Brooks Orpik) from MacIntyre earlier in the season. If they won't let MacIntyre get at the likes of Neil, they surely wouldn't have let him get at a Norris winner.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote