View Single Post
Old
10-07-2013, 07:37 PM
BrimStone64

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I don't think so. I get your point about people overhyping draft picks, and there is some truth to it as there is with any fanbase, but there are many posters who hype a Hab prospect a lot more a year after they were drafted. Examples of this include Price, Kostitsyn, Gallagher, Tinordi, Chipchura (until his injury), Patch, Subban, McDonagh....remember how much more hype there was around Koivu a year after he was drafted? The Hockey News ranked him as the best prospect outside the NHL...What about Patty Roy a year or two after he was drafted? Was there not a lot more hype? Hab fans for the most part are disappointed with high draft picks until they get to see them a year or two later...not the other way around. Kostitsyn is a good example....no one had really seen him play in his draft year..but after his fabulous game in beating the US at the next WJC the hype really started to build on here. Price became a God on here after winning Gold at the WJC and then leading Hamilton to a Cup...not when he was drafted. His pick was almost universally panned.[/B][/I]

[I][B]I think every NHL amateur scout would agree that the 2013 draft was a lot better and deeper than 2012. Additionally - the Habs had six top 90 picks as opposed to four in 2012. Add those two things up and there is significant reason to expect the latest draft to be the better one in the long run. Significant organizational needs were addressed in terms of size, grit, forward depth and goaltending all in one fell swoop.
They never got the star like they did in 2012 though. First line centers are near impossible to acquire in trade but necessary for cup run..