View Single Post
Old
10-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Peter9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Thanks!

I really miss the newspaper format as well, but I understand why THN had to change. It's not the "news" anymore. I still subscribe, but only for collection purposes. Many people don't realize how great of a publication THN once was.
Yes. I subscribed to and/or regularly bought the Hockey News throughout the 1950s and 1960s, and I read it cover to cover every week. THN's coverage was simply superb. I was thoroughly informed about all the leagues, including the major junior leagues. The NHL match summaries contained the team lineups as well as all the other data so you knew which players missed the game. It also carried a complete league scoring table ranking the 120 or so players from first to last in the scoring race; it wasn't done team by team but league wide. That there were only six teams made that much easier, of course. Some day I hope some benefactor will buy the rights and put all the THN issues online. It would bring back many memories for me.

My parents, of course, threw away my THN issues and nearly all my hockey card collection as well as other memorabilia, including thousands of photos, while I was away at law school in the mid to late 1960s. I once told them they threw away a small fortune.

Peter9 is offline   Reply With Quote