10-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Last Mango In Paris

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I can sympathize with the OP.

A lot of you may be sick of Messier because MSG Network force feeds us 1994 but he is still the preeminent New York Ranger of the modern era, and is now associating with different franchise. I have no idea if Messier is qualified; it would have been cool to give him a shot. I think he earned it in the sense that he's been a warrior and a good ambassador for the organization for so long. After his interview on NHL Network about leaving the organization, I believed Messier interviewed for the Rangers head coaching position for sincere and selfless reasons, and that he genuinely felt unappreciated when they brought someone outside the family to take the reigns.
Crease. With all due respect, when you are looking at your Star goaltender in his last year who may or may not leave via FA... you have to do what is best for the team and not necessarily cool. I would have like to see Messier behind the bench as well. Yet at the same time you don't want to create a potential disaster situation the year Lundqvist leaves for UFA.

Don't think for a second that Lundqvist didn't have a say in AV's hiring. Also, IIRC, didn't Messier not get the job because he wanted to bring in his own staff and the Rangers wanted to surround him with a more experienced crew? (Can't remember where I read that).

They keep calling out my name, I shout it down
--