View Single Post
10-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Hextall is a deity!
vCash: 500
Berube looks like the right man to coach the Flyers

This was an inspirational article....I'm just looking forward to seeing some hockey where the players care....losing sucks but it is how you lose that kills me.

Berube, 47, will stand behind the bench for his first game as an NHL head coach tonight against the Panthers, but this isn't his first rodeo. He was the head coach of the Phantoms in 2007-08 and led them to a 46-27-4-3 record.

Berube was so impressive after one season in the AHL that then-head coach John Stevens couldn't wait to bring Berube to the NHL with him. He was interviewed by Washington for its head-coaching vacancy in 2012, not a surprise to those who know him.

"He is intense," Darroll Powe, who played 76 games for Berube that season and now plays for the Rangers, told the Daily News yesterday. "He demands a lot. He expects you to go out and battle every night. Since he played the game, he gets a lot of respect from players. He is a guy who knows what he is talking about.

"He is a straight-up guy. He tells you exactly how it is, there's no messing around. You never need to guess."

Holmgren, who coached Berube for three seasons, said Berube likely will hold players accountable in a different way from the fired Peter Laviolette.

"It's 'maybe I'll give you one chance; if you mess up again, you're probably not going to get another chance,' " Holmgren explained. "Their ideas for the overall team concept, when it comes to playing defense, are probably a little different. You have to have all five guys on the same page. Every coach has a different idea of how to play the game."

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote