Old
12-01-2006, 12:25 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
One could argue, one could argue, one could argue.

Lets look at what we do know:

We're scoring enough goals 5 on 5 to win hockey games.

We're not scoring enough on the power play to win hockey games.

We're not playing as defensively sound as we should be in order to win as many games as we like.

You can argue that this might happen or that might happen, but the three points I stated above are the current realities of this team.

Yes, we're getting 70% of our scoring from 4 players - but you're overlooking one very important detail: we're scoring!

Yes, maybe Straka would be god's gift to the Rangers second line, but what happens if it doesn't work out? And what happens if Prucha doesn't work out? I could "argue" just as easily that Straka will contribute much less playing on the second than he will on the first (as he did last year when he was 'demoted'). I could also argue that Petr Prucha won't fill Straka's shoes as adequately as we'd like.

Panic: a sudden overwhelming fear, with or without cause, that produces hysterical or irrational behavior, and that often spreads quickly through a group of persons

A sudden overwhelming fear: I only need to cite the dozen or so "for crying out loud's" to support the idea that you're overwhelmed.

Irrational behaviour: Taking the NHL's best line and dismantling it when other options are available that could keep that number one line intact while possibly solving our dilemma.

Spreads quickly through a group of persons: A few other silly rabbits bouncing right along with you.

So tell me, if moving Straka down is worth a shot, why isn't Immonen? Why not exhaust a few other options within this organization before you start jumping for our top line, or a trade?

I've never said this wasn't a problem. It's a long-term problem, however, and not something that needs to be adjusted with such a grandeous move.

Sure it's not a "huge" move. Breaking up our only scoring line is never a huge move; and besides it can be corrected within the same game if things go wrong, right? I've got you pegged as the type of guy that comes right back on here afterwards only to cry about how his lineup wasn't given enough time. So cry me a river.

You make very good points. I advocated trading for a second line center, but giving Immonen a chance certainly is an option we should try before attempting a trade. What's the worst that can happen? We wouldn't get scoring from the 2nd line (other than Shanny)?

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote