View Single Post
Old
10-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
It would not have been insane to take Drouin over Jones this summer... this team has desperately needed a dynamic scoring winger... forever.... and our other need this summer was a top 4 Dman... I imagine Poile thought he was going to get the scoring forward in the draft and was planning on trading for a defenseman... because its a hell of a lot easier to trade for a top 4 d-man than it is to acquire a dynamic scoring winger by trade(ie I dont see anyone else letting us fleece them like the Caps did..)...

I think Jones is awesome and Im really glad we have him,(see my avatar) especially in light of Josi's injury.... but if Drouin eventually becomes another Patrick Kane, just ask yourself if you wouldnt trade Seth Jones for Patrick Kane with his whole career in front of him... I would, in a heartbeat...
Yes I realize we need offense, and that's well established. But you also have to think that these are judgment calls. Could Drouin become another Patrick Kane? Sure. Would I expect it? No. Son't get me wrong, that doesn't mean I don't see him being a very good player, but in relation to his peers, who do I think is more likely to be the better player over the next 10 to 12 years? Jones, easily. I would far more expect Jones to be an elite defenseman in his career than I would Drouin to be an elite scorer. I would take that chance every time. I also understand the skepticism around "drafting another defenseman" but Jones obviously isn't the same scenario as us reaching up and drafting Ellis at 11. It's about as can't miss and can't miss gets.

I don't think I could convince myself to take a gamble and draft Drouin (or Barkov) over Jones looking in the long run and playing the odds as I see them. And sure, that's what I would see it as, a gamble. MacKinnon, maybe. Barkov, ehhhh, maaaaaybe. Drouin. No.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote