View Single Post
Old
10-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't know exactly what the solution would be. I have doubts that Beaulieu could handle the NHL yet, so I'm leery about even trying to live with his mistakes... I would rather take the time to develop a defenseman carefully. Not every player can be "ruined" by being rushed to the NHL, but some players can have their development hindered, and I just would generally not take the chance. Live with our current D as-is. Even consider sending Tinordi back at times if everybody else is healthy.

I don't like the odds of trading for an established "real efficient #2 d-man"... it would be nice to identify somebody who isn't there yet but who emerges as that. Or to take advantage of somebody's cap situation or internal budget (e.g. Cowen RFA try), *something* that doesn't involving trading a full-up painful price for a guy who obviously fits the need. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see who becomes available, when. At least as long as the need is there and a priority is set to address it, then you can evaluate the opportunities as they emerge.
At this point... how could we?

Really, we used the cap space on Briere and there's not much we can do unless a team is in need of a scorer and willing to take a smaller player. We're really kind of stuck with what we've got now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Words of wisdom. Makes sense.

But unfortunatly, I don't think, these days, that a GM can always be that patient. At one point, even if it's risky, every good GM does a bold move that make a difference. Ciarreli made some, Lombardi made some. Quinn made some when he traded to have both Sedins. He did it again with Kessel that turned out to be a fair trade, and did good also with Phaneuf. Bergevin has no choice, I believe. Only "drafting and waiting" never works. He'll have to make the difference-maker move sooner rather than later. And I bet it will hurt as I'm pretty sure a good young prospect/player will have to be trade.
Here's the other problem... Subban is in his prime (and we've wasted years where we've had him cheap) Price is in his prime, Max is in his prime... we're starting to waste years of good performances by these players. Not saying the window is anywhere close to shutting but why waste these years?

I truly believe that with a shutdown guy and a big Power forward we'd have been in great shape this year. But we missed that opportunity and saddled ourselves with a small player. To me it's two years of wasted opportunity to at least try to win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I think Bergevin has a pretty good amount of slack to be patient with right now. The organization is assembling a strong group of prospects atm, and a more diverse group, and it's only as those assets start to evolve and emerge that he'll have the ammunition to make bold moves on the trade front. He's not there yet. He should save his bold moves for free agents for now.

I mean, always assuming there isn't some situation that comes out of the blue like a player elsewhere demanding a trade, or a cap situation, or something that makes a good player available at a more attractive price than might otherwise be the case. But you can't really count on that happening. So the generalization would still be wait and build with the draft and free agents. Bergevin has time for that.
Not sure what else we really can do.

Problem is that we aren't going to be able to shelter guys like Tinordi and Beaulieu because we don't have the steady blueliners to log the harder minutes here. We've got Subban (great all around) and then Diaz and Markov. Blueline is very one dimensional and with Tinordi we're basically going to lean on this guy more than we should. It also exposes Price and drives down his numbers as well.

It's not a good situation right now but I don't see what we can do about it. The logical choice would be to deal Markov but nobody is going to give us real value for him. So we're kind of stuck where we are now.

And that's not even addressing the size issue up front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
This is exactly why Briere was such a mistake. If we had an additional 4m in cap space we would be in a much better position to trade for what we need.
Yup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The blueline, a 4th line center/PKer was the issue going into the season.. and another scoring winger with size.

We will see what Murray does for us and if Bournival gets the time to address the 2nd need. Briere was a mess.
As usual, we are on the same page.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote