View Single Post
Old
10-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
There were no articles saying Rieder was going back into the draft. At least none that I have seen. I actually feel somewhat responsible for this in a way since I speculated this might be the case after hearing comments on the Ranger broadcast the day he was traded. The Ranger broadcasters were saying how happy his agent seemed to be with the trade and they speculated that the Rieder camp did not see much of a future with the Oilers given the Oilers depth up front. Things kind of took off from there.

To be honest I still think it was a legitimate possibility given the timing of the deal and the Oilers roster at the time. But I have never seen any official confirmation that this would be the case.

As I said I followed almost every game Rieder played after being drafted, and while I was disappointed I understand the trade. Clearly Rieder has the higher upside offensively but Kessy is much more the type of player that the Oilers would need to complement their current core. In that regard it was a potentially justifiable gamble, even if it was a gamble.