View Single Post
Old
10-12-2013, 08:26 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Some people think he acts too much like Drury that he's boring, and not loud enough.

What captains are you guys watching? I rarely notice any of them being more intense than Callahan.

We also don't know what goes on behind closed doors, so the assumption that no one is being held accountable is just that. I don't think this team is imploding, I think they are having issues getting up for games mentally. You can appear ready outwardly but between the ears can hold you back. I think that's all that is going on.
I think people who compare him to Drury are spot on. In fact, I was going to come into this thread and post about how much Drury had an impact on Callahan as a captain.

Callahan grew up as a player under Drury's captainship, and even had Drury with him at the Olympics in 2010.

I can especially recall a picture that Avery posted after the Olympics ended with the caption along the lines of: "Our US boys are back at it" and it was Drury and Callahan sitting right next to each other, Callahan getting a lesson from Drury.

In terms of how they play on the ice? Very different.

In the terms of their personality, and how they lead the team by example and not by words? Spot on. And of course there is nothing wrong by leading by example. There is nothing wrong with as a captain sending a message by sacrificing your body night in and night out rather than through words. I think a lot of Rangers fans prefer a fiery, open leader due to the years of Messier at the helm of this team. I think I might prefer that, too.

Being completely honest, when Drury left and the time came for the Rangers to name a new captain, I wanted them to give the 'C' to Dubi. Not because I think he's a better player than Callahan, because I obviously don't, but because of their different personalities. Dubinsky would lead on the ice, and off the ice in a more open and passionate way. And that's not to say Callahan isn't passionate, but to say that he doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve as clearly as others do.

This post went longer than I wanted, I'm sorry. I do think Callahan is the right captain for this team though!

That being said, I'm not going to let this post ruin my holiday

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote