View Single Post
Old
10-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Baby Punisher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
This isnt the first time i've said this, but its probably more pertinent now more than ever.

I said directly after the Rangers lost to Boston that they should seriously consider shoring up their backup goaltending situation by signing another real backup option for Henrik.

With what transpired in camp (a half assed effort at shoring up that situation, because of the cap issues mainly) its obvious that AV has little confidence in Biron and wants to ride him out of town. (Gross echoed the same sentiment today).

In an Olympic year the Rangers are going to need a backup who can spell Lundqvist for 20, maybe 25 games and at Biron's age and lack of playing time last year I feel like hes not the greatest choice. Two years ago, yes.

Its not about Biron's play to be honest. Its about being proactive. He shouldnt be on this team next season and quite honestly the way the team and Hank are struggling right now the extra "motivation" of having a semi #1 who could push Lundqvist (not that he needs much pushing, but that never hurts for someone as competitive as he is) wouldn't be the worse thing in the world.

I almost feel like AV is setting up Biron to fail tomorrow night. I know thats not the case but this early in the season the way the Rangers have played I think you would want to give the team the best chance to win every night to try and get on track. Starting Biron against a team whos outscored the opposition 14-4 in the last 3 is almost raising up a white flag.

But it could also be AV giving Hank some needed mental recovery time. Whatever it is, I still feel like the Rangers management dropped the ball on this one and it will rear its ugly head this season.

What could they have done with the cap issues they made for themselves? Buy-out Richards. Trade a redundant piece like Pyatt. Get some room to do some things instead of using the tight cap as negotiation leverage. Its a tough call, because that leverage has landed us a hell of a good deal with McDonagh. But it also proved to be a negative with the Stepan holdout.

We'll see, but I still feel like they need to do something about this.
Ever since Benoit Allaire announced that Cam Talbot was NHL ready Lundqvist has played poorly. So if the plan is to ride Biron out of town & bring up Talbot to backup Lundqvist that doesn't really slove the issue...unless Talbot plays lights put like Lundqvist did when he was called up in 05'. Which would than open up a whole new can of worms.

Could anyone here imagine if Lundqvist had signed an extension & was playing this poorly? We would be ready to lynch him opening night at MSG.