View Single Post
10-12-2013, 09:48 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Personally, I think the "issue" with Couturier isn't a confidence or competitiveness issue - it's an issue in which he honestly doesn't know what to do. The previous head coach used to rip on him for anything and everything. If Couturier missed a defensive assignment, he tore him a new one. If he didn't generate offense, he'd be torn a new one. I honestly think that Couturier is worried that he's going to do something that will get him stapled to the bench.

With that being said, there's signs of life in his game. He's coming around. You have to remember, he's a 20 year old playing the most difficult role on any team - the shut down center. I don't know of any 20 year old centers in the NHL who are playing that role. They're either moved to the wing to begin their careers or they're playing in a top role in which their linemates are defensively sound to cover up for them. Couturier is being asked to be the defensive conscience on the team.

What worries me is that if after 10 games, the Flyers only have 1 win, Holmgren might go into full blown panic mode and start moving guys. I'm afraid he'll end up moving Couturier in a deal for someone like Yandle or Byfuglien, which would be a huge mistake. I'm still hopeful that once they get time in under the system Berube wants to use and what Paddock is trying to instill defensively, they'll be fine.

I agree. Couturier looks like he's playing to not make mistakes. I do believe this stems from the last coach. The team looked closer to a team last night. Giroux seems to be getting better touch on the puck. Saw him float a couple of passes. This team just needs time. It's a long season. We are five games in and had one major change. Team defense and goal tending look better the points will start coming. There is talent there we just need to be wait for it to come. Two years ago them team should have struggled and they didn't. Last year you saw the young team that we should have expected after the Richards and carter trades. This year I expect to see a lot of young or unseasoned players grow and gain confidence. The second half of the year will look different from the first. Growing pains is what I see most of right now.

Adtar02 is offline   Reply With Quote