View Single Post
Old
01-17-2004, 12:31 PM
paxtang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
You clearly implied that I was saying he hit Sundin dirty when you said that the only questionable hit was on Roberts.

Anyway, it's common sense. If you're shadowing a star like Sundin all night and holding him up during the play and doing everything you can to get under his skin you've got to be prepared to throw them because the enforcers job is simple in the fact "Protect the star" and in last nights case Domi turned away as he does he has done a lot for the past two season but Roberts said it was enough and went after him and he didn't stand up when the time came. It's the "code" of the NHL as so many players like to put it.

If they do infact play further into the season we'll see if he decides to stand up then which I find doubtful but I'm clearly wrong about this being the last game if they do infact play.
I didn't feel I was implying anything about him hitting Sundin, but if i did I apoligize.

But again you refer to Domi having to protect the star. To me, this insinuates that he did something of harm to Sundin, instead of just play good defense. I know people use to beat people up for smothering the star players, but with the instigator that hasn't happened in years, so the only scenario I can see where Domi would feel obligated to "protect the star" is if Primeau cheapshotted Sundin. This is why I felt you were implying Primeau played a dirty game.

Roberts went after Primeau because of the hit he put on him, not beacuse of any defense he played against Sundin. It is also part of the "code" between players and particularly fighters that you don't fight someone with a broken thumb and tape on their hands. Ask any enforcer about it. Unless you take a real cheap shot at someone, and retribution is needed. I can see why Roberts was pissed, but it obviously wasn't bad enough for him to want to jump Primeau, just to challange him. Primeau didn't back away in fear which it really seems like you are implying to me, he simply cannot fight right now. It is obvious you have not watch very much of Keith Primeau, since he has MORE fighting majors against arguably better competition than superman Gary Roberts (who I infact like).