View Single Post
Old
10-12-2013, 02:32 PM
savebyrichter420

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
When Messier said we'll win tonight it was merely a footnote; what grave it credence was the fact that he delivered a hat trick that night to be the Devils in game 6. If he didn't people would have at best forgotten what he said or maybe at worst held it against him as proof he's not a good leader?

Messier also said we'd make the playoffs when he re-signed with NY, and we were the laughing stock of the league that year. Was he showing leadership when he demanded to be on the first PP and first PK unit when he clearly was incapable of those roles. Does that show leadership or denial?

Most of the anecdotes you here from players about Messier being a great leader come from what he did (i.e. buy a suit for a new player who couldn't afford it) not what he said. You'll never hear a player say "Messier said XYZ to us and that gave us the juice to win!"

People lead by example. Telling people what to do doesn't make you a leader, it makes you a dictator.

Again, I'd like to see examples of vocal leaders around the NHL who are better captains because of it.
I didn't even advocate Callahan not being captain. Furthermore, I didn't say the type of player I was describing need to be the captain either. I was just using Mess as an example of someone who was a warrior, who could speak up but also lead by example. Someone who had the track record of winning in the post season and who players respect enough to follow.

I think Richards fails in this department and I think having someone like that could help take some pressure off of Callahan and help spearhead a more intense approach and higher level of accountability.

savebyrichter420 is offline   Reply With Quote