View Single Post
Old
10-13-2013, 03:11 AM
kolankosf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
The one major problem I have with people complaining about kimmo is he is by far still this teams best defensive zone defender. It's not even close. He is rarely, I mean rarely, out of position in the d-zone. He plays a great, sound defensive game, even though he has lost some foot speed.
I whole heartedly agree with you. He absolutely is the better defender when a) his opponent isn't faster and b) he isn't taking unnecessary holding penalties (Goes for Coburn too). His poor clearing of the puck on the pk was also not typical Kimmo, but it has been a pattern from the tail end of last season through to now.

I didn't feel he was worth the 6.5m he was under contract for, when they inked him to this years 6m contract, considering how broken down he gets. No one will ever question Kimmo's heart, tenacity and the fact that he would battle through hell for the Flyers regardless of his injuries he's sustained. The guy is pure WARRIOR. Infact, now that Lappy and Berube are at the helm, he's working harder than ever to block shots. But as it was explained to me earlier in hockey, if you're constantly diving and sprawling to block shots, you're probably out of position.

Ideally, it would be nice to pair him with Gus, and play him on the 2nd PP unit... giving way to Streit. Depending on how much PP time we get, have Kimmo give us a solid 15-17 mins while using Coburn/Grossman Schenn/Streit to log the rest.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still very positive about this team, they played great today! Goaltending may have been reminiscent of years past, but overall it was a step in the right direction. I am very excited to see more of Raffl, and possibly McGinn if he can continue to bring it.

kolankosf is offline   Reply With Quote