View Single Post
Old
01-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Jim

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
as TXPD says, these are #2/#3 guys. We'd want a young #1 for the best offensive dman in the league.
Yes, the best offensive dman in the league....and the previous few years would show that Delmore was one of the better offensive dman in the league. Where is he now?

While I do think Gonchar is better defensively (and offensively), I would also say he is the same type of player. On the other hand, both Jillson and Boynton show exceptional but not incredible qualities at both ends of the ice. Its true that they both need to work on various aspects of their game....but it is also true that they both have more time to do so than Gonchar has at 29.

At 23, Gonchar totalled 21 pts. (though he previously totalled 30 and 41) Right now Jillson,23 yrs. old, is on pace for 26 pts. Nothing says he can't mature into a more offensive player than he already is. He's bigger, he hits, and he fights.

Boynton is 25 and also on pace for a 27 point season. He is never going to be your go to guy on the attack, but he has demonstrated leadership qualities, throws booming checks, and is generally (seems to be having an off year so far) very responsible in his own end.

To me, the two of them add up to much more than Gonchar and barring any crazy injuries, they have a more time to offer their services.