View Single Post
Old
10-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I mentioned that Kreider should be up over Miller. My guess is that AV liked what he saw from Miller in pre-season. AV has no history with Kreider. All he saw was a player that, for the most part, was a no show in pre-season, when a spot was there for the taking.

What I don't like from AV, is that he had Miller on the 4th line and not at center.
AV has no history with either player. I knew Miller would be more to AV's liking. Why? Miller is Kessler lite. Similar mold, similar skill set, similar ceiling.

Think is AV didn't put Kreider on a line to succeed. Richards + Nash isn't a line Kreider would succeed on. Stepan or Miller need to be the center - decisive center with defensive responsibility. That allows Kreider to play North-South, where he's effective.

Torts didn't understand this with any one player, not just Kreider. Torts wanted defensive accountability over any other skillset. That means players weren't allowed to let themselves get too far ahead of a play or they'd let down the hole unit defensively in the case of a turnover or what not. North-South players were affected badly in this system... that limits how north they can actually go.

On the other hand, AV likes north-south. Kreider would/will flourish if given the chance on an appropriate line. Richards isn't the center to optimize a north-south player. He's more east-west. He has the capability to stretch the ice out with a blue line to blue line pass but he tends to carry the puck and skate from circle to circle down the ice. Nash is almost the definition of an east-west player. Neither were going to make Kreider look good. They carry the puck, their decisions revolve around holding the puck, not stretching the ice. Both look for line mates to adapt to what they do with the puck. Kreider needs someone who adapts to him (i.e. quick decision to throw puck down ice when he breaks).

If/when Kreider is called up he needs to be on a line with Stepan or Miller for him to succeed. It's not about taking the opportunity at hand, it's about AV understanding his player.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote